REDAS AWARDS SCHEME
Objectives and Role
1. The REDAS’ Research & Education Fund was set up in 1989 to provide avenues for the Association to undertake research programmes, award scholarships, bursaries, gold medals, book prizes to certain approved institutes of higher learning as well as to participate in other educational programme or undertake projects pertaining to the real estate industry.
2. Through this Fund, REDAS provides support to research projects and sponsors gold / cash awards for students in polytechnics and tertiary institutions, including
Ngee Ann Polytechnic
Nanyang Technological University
National University of Singapore
Singapore Management University
A More Effective Scheme
3. In 2000, the Fund was renamed - REDAS Awards Scheme. The scheme will align its programme with the following key objectives :
i) Impactful and cost-effective – target for faster, more readily quantifiable deliverables, which requires the programme to be focused at selective niche areas rather than be broad-based and extended;
ii) Meaningful to and valued by business partners/recipients;
iii) Beneficial to REDAS and its members.
4. With this, the overall programme will focus the two key aspects, namely
a. Content - selectivity & focus. Recipients should be final year students engaged in projects with practical application to the industry as well as REDAS members.
b. Packaging– Awards to be packaged so that they would be perceived to be prestigious and associated with quality, excellence, creativity and innovation.
5. In 2006 and 2007, REDAS extended the Scheme’s programme with a donation of $100k to the Wee Kim Wee Legacy Fund. The endowed donation was named The REDAS Fund and matched with 1:1 by the Government of Singapore.
6. The proceeds from the distributable income of The REDAS Fund resides under the Wee Kim Wee Endowment Fund to benefit students and faculty from the School of Communication and Information (SCI) at Nanyang Technological University (NTU). SCI will use the funds to promote, engage and encourage students to do work in the area of real estate through internships, research projects as well as programme that are relevant and in tune with the needs of the real estate industry.
7. The awards will be administered by the Academic Board on the recommendation of the Dean, School of Communication and Information (SCI). Income not distributed will remain in The REDAS Fund and the Association will be kept informed of the usage and the beneficiaries of the Fund.
8. REDAS will continue to play a pro-active role in assisting members in their pursuit to harness the latest technology and developments. Strengthening communication lines between REDAS members and its business partners and/or recipients are vital to the development and growth of the programme. REDAS, through such interaction would be able to achieve tangible benefits for its members as the projects could be taken a step further and implemented by the professionals. The students would be assets to REDAS members, if employed by them.
9. REDAS looks forward to receiving feedback & suggestions from members. The ideas mooted will be channeled to the various institutions to undertake practical and integrated projects for the benefits of all.
[ Updated : September 2014 ]